Saturday, August 21, 2010

"No English, no job" for some Japanese office workers


As Japan's population shrinks, the country's retailers are increasingly looking to boost sales by expanding abroad and some firms are waking up to the necessity of being able to speak the global language of business in order to succeed overseas. Rakuten, Japan's biggest online retailer, plans to make English the firm's official language, while Fast Retailing, operator of the Uniqlo apparel chain, wants to make English more common in its offices by 2012 and plans to test its employees for proficiency."It's about stopping being a Japanese company. We will become a world company," Rakuten CEO Hiroshi Mikitani said last week at a news conference in Tokyo -- conducted almost entirely in English.Other high-profile Japanese companies, including automakers Toyota Motor and Nissan Motor, have announced moves to make the use of English more common in the workplace.Some experts say the switch to English is healthy but just one of the changes companies need to make to go global.

My opinion

When I read this news, I felt I did a good choice. English do is the most important skill for a person. It is world language, and you need it to communicate with people from other countries. Not only this, it is also the one business skill. If you want to have a good job, you must use English well because every industry and area both need use English more or less. English is a very useful language. For example, I study abroad, and I cannot speak their national langrage, but if I can speak English, I also can communication and live here. I can study in Thailand because I can study by English. This is also the reason why I choice to study English. Actually, I do not very interested in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment